Sunday, May 26, 2024

“Kangaroo Cough Chronicles: Battling Bordetella bronchiseptica”

Bordetella bronchiseptica

- is a cause of respiratory infections in a wide range of mammals, it may cause a severe pneumonia, which may be fatal.

Recent reports have suggested that this organism may be considered

a zoonosis, even if it occurs rarely. (Sciencedirect.com)

 

My case study (24 October 2022) –

 

Approx 12 weeks ago Caree (30kg) was waiting outside the pen to see if

anything was left in the pen bottles. As she was drinking, she starting coughing violently. I thought she had aspirated. After talking to my mentor, she said that was more than likely not the case and to keep an eye on her. I

did for several days but the coughing was relentless. I started her on Bisolven which is a Chesty Forte Cough Liquid (the first of many bottles and tablets). It relieves productive chesty coughs, which can occur due to a variety of causes, by breaking down and clearing mucus in the chest. (In the meantime lots of the other others started with the same symptons) At first it was easy, Caree would take it in a banana but after a few days her nasal cavities became swollen, and she could no longer smell. Her chest starting rattling and she was having difficulty breathing. After consultation with the vet, it was decided to put her on antibiotics and treat as a secondary infection of pneumonia. I needed to administer 1.5 tabs (Enrofloxacin) per day (at $10 per day) but once she started refusing bananas it got tricky. Hours following her with corn, weetbix, muesli bars and lots of different things to tempt her. After about 2 weeks her at foot, Zaley,  started coughing as well. I tried to keep her within the confines of the property but she got restless, so I had to let her go. She had no appetite and became very thin. I would spend hours looking for her. One time she was at the neighbours and I snuck over to try and get some meds into her. Eventually managed to coax her and her baby home. After a week I knew we weren’t getting anywhere with administering the tablets so decided to do the injectable (Tulathromycin). I was warned I needed someone to help me but knew Caree would bolt. I was so desperate to get my girl better I managed on my own even though she took off with needle stuck in her butt (I checked her later and needle was gone). It took about 4 weeks before she was feeling better (I still hear her coughing from time to time) She is now the picture of health, baby in pouch, her at foot healthy again. She follows me everywhere and has become very attached to me again.

 

Jade, Jonti, Mia, Kyah, Cherish, Coco, Bindi, Caree, Maxx and all 6 of my pen kids (Jaffa, Jedda, Jaycee, Emma, Elliott and Rossie all between 12 – 20kg) got sick to varying degrees.

 

5 of the pen kids, Cherish and Coco all had an injection of Tulathromycin (Jedda and Jaffa both had 2 rounds 7 days apart)

 

When I realised how contagious this was – whatever it was I decided to hand over my two 1.5 kg boys to a good carer friend. I could not run the risk of them getting sick. I also needed all my energy to take care of the sick mob esp Jedda and Rossie at that stage.

 

I knew we were dealing with something more than just of a case of roo flu. I had been adding extra vitamins and minerals, molasses for energy to their water, bought some high energy alpaca mix but they just kept getting sick. I wandered for hours with Bisolven tablets and bananas twice a day (some of the sick ones are wild babies of Mums I raised, so even though not scared of me I have never touched them)

 

When all the 6 pen kids got sick I needed to know what we were dealing with. I did nasal swabs and had them sent to the Ag Dept for culture. It came back as Bordetella bronchiseptica. At least I had a name and was able to source correct antibiotics. (Trimidine) I had 4 swabs done, one came back negative but she had been on antibiotics so was told that would have interfered with the culture results.

Jaffa lost a lot of weight but I was able to support care her with bed rest, extra bottles, fresh browse and loads of extra love. She is still convalescing…. she loves her bed and rolls into her hanging bag any chance she gets.

Jedda was the sickest of all. Several times I thought I would lose her. Her sinus became ulcerated, she could barely breathe. I kept her inside (air con on 24/7) for 5 days. (Rossie joined her for about 3 days and was nebulizer as well) I had her on the nebulizer 5 times daily, 5 bottles daily, Critical care and critticare in bottles, nutripet a high energy vitamin concentrate. Picking fresh browse every day and ensuring access to grain. She went from a healthy 16kg to 12 kg. She was so weak she could barely walk or stand so I needed to carry her everywhere. Jedda is now off antibiotics but still on additional bottles, nutrients and vitamins so she can gain back her strength and weight. I am also still pouching her at night under a heat lamp. (I shudder at the thought of my next power bill – I can keep them warm in pure wool pouches and fur lined hanging bags but need to keep the air they are breathing warm to help heal their lungs)

Coco is still struggling to breathe and only breathing through her mouth. She currently has males trying to mate her which doesn’t help. She runs to the house and I put her in the pen so she can relax. She tires very easily and has also lost a lot of weight. It was a happy day when she came in for grain to the feed trays.

7 days ago Millie (approx. 25kg bub in pouch) the one in the video started coughing. She has a rattly chest, but I am unable to get her take meds. She is doing ok…still coming in for grain and hasn’t lost a lot of weight (If she gets worse, we will have to inject her somehow) Also an adult wild male was coughing (Only heard him the one time)

I have called vet today and will pick up swabs to use if needed.

Jedda, Jaffa, Coco, Mia are still coughing but it’s not consistent or very severe.

 

This report was done on 24th October, 2022

As of today 27 May 2024 everyone recovered.  Jaffa now has a bub in her pouch and still loves her bottles and still comes into the pen most nights (she knows where the bottles are)  I managed to keep her safe from the boys for 12 months so she was able to gain back all the weight she lost.

Millie’s baby Miki got very sick, but she was still in Mums pouch, and she recovered without any intervention.  Mia has since had a bub and another one in her pouch.

Rossie came home last year with a severe respiratory infection because of a weakened immune system after the virus. He came home and fell over he was so weak, it happened so quickly and suddenly. He went back on anti-biotics, was pouched every night through the winter months, back on bottles, nutripet, and additional supplements.  Jaffa became his carer.  Once he was free to go during the day, she made sure he came home and into the pen every night. 

 A HUGE Thank you to:

Peggy for taking the 2 babies (Bandit and Benson) so they wouldn't get the virus and to give me the time to focus of the sick ones.

Thank you Marg and Claire for your care, guidance, support, advice over the past weeks.

Thank you Leonie for babysitting duties and support here so I could get to the chiropractor

Thank you to everyone who checked in and offered emotional support

Thank you Dr Shey Nullakai Vet Service for your support and providing appropriate meds after diagnosis

Thank you Dr Bronwyn and Katie Mt Barker Veterinary Hospital WA for your support and care.

Thank you to all who offered financial support and sent money for Bananas...Think I need shares in banana plantation.

Above all thank you Lord for answered prayers. For the strength to keep going, for my amazing friends and network of carers and for restoring health to my precious babies.


Donations can be made to Amaris Wildlife Sanctuary

BSB 633000 Account 172206732
or
PayPal.me/AmarisWildlife

 


Rossie on the mend after his respiratory infection

Millie and Miki (in pouch) both sick

Jedda finally improving

On the nebulizer up to 5 x a time


First Grevillea flower goes to Jedda

So so Sick

Here is the link to the video of Miki coughing
https://www.facebook.com/reel/1382384138835656


No comments:

Post a Comment

🌟 A Vital Message for All Wildlife Rescuers 🌟

  As wildlife carers, our constant message is clear: please hand over your injured or orphaned wildlife to a registered carer. This sentimen...